Loss of Coast Guard Aircraft 6535

Posted from Commandant of the Coast Guard Admiral Bob Papp’s All Hands e-mail:

Admiral Robert J. Papp, 24th Commandant of the Coast Guard

Admiral Robert J. Papp, 24th Commandant of the Coast Guard (U.S. Coast Guard photo)

Shipmates,

I regret to inform you that last evening, Tuesday, February 28th, CG-6535 from ATC Mobile crashed in Mobile Bay. CG-6535 was flown by a four-person crew and was conducting training operations. A full Coast Guard and interagency search and rescue effort was launched – the aircraft was quickly located. One deceased crewmember was recovered, and extensive efforts continue to locate the other three crewmembers.

I know that everyone desires additional details on the crash and to know the names and status of the crew. We are following the appropriate notification procedures and request your patience and understanding. We will release additional information to all of you as soon as possible.

The aircrew and families must be our first priority. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers as we move through the next few days. I am working with senior leadership to ensure we are providing every available resource to meet their needs.

We will conduct a full investigation into this incident to determine the cause. In the mean time, I ask that everyone remain focused on their duties and take deliberate steps to ensure you and your shipmates are standing a taut watch.

Semper Paratus,

Admiral Bob Papp
Commandant

Comments

comments

Tags:

98 Responses

1. display wtf says:

Sorry to hear that wish everyone the best.

2. Chris0324 says:

Thoughts and Prayers out to my Coast Guard Brothers and Sisters and their families.

3. Jim Cottrell says:

Semper Paratus! My heart and prayers go out to all my brothers and sisters. God Bless.

4. Pngmom says:

My families thoughts and prayers are with the families of these guardsman and will not cease. Semper Paratus.

5. Joedepilot says:

pray for the crew and families.

6. Texasanm10 says:

Semper Paratus! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

7. Leliadempster says:

so so sad..thoughts with the families…

8. Camoman11 says:

Prayers sent to brother and sister Guardsman and their families. “Semper Paratus.”

9. CGMom says:

Praying for the crew and their families.  May God be with you all during this most difficult time.

10. Arnold Cox says:

Thank you for asking for prayer for them, with todays policies of not mentioning God by the military, I am proud that some still believe that God can help.  My prayers go up to help those that are involved and for our military men and women.  God Bless you

11. Marilynstroman says:

I’m praying for the crew and their families. Also the Coast Guard family. My husband may be retired CG but we will always be part of the Coast Guard.

12. Kharper329 says:

My son is stationed in Mobile and I know him and his crew will do everything they can . My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the missing crew

13. Mhmaurer says:

We will keep the missing crew and thier families in our thoughts and prayers.
    God Bless Them.

14. Msvicki11 says:

My heart aches for the guardsmen and their families. That extends to every member of the Coast Guard, because I know the Coasties are a tight knit family; what affects one, affects all. May God grant peace and comfort during these difficult days ahead. Semper Paratus!

15. Tugboat says:

Our enitre Coastie family active and retired are at a loss and pray for survivors and the families of those involved.

16. cbordb says:

keeping the faith and sending prayers…love the Coasties

17. Aspence1 says:

As the father of a coast guard helo crew member, this loss hits close to home. God bless these fallen heros and their families

18. Macietx says:

God speed to the families of these Coast Guardsmen and women.  I am the ex-wife of a CG officer and the mom to a non-rate, my heart is breaking for these families. I hope the crews out searching can find something positive.  God bless sailors.

19. Dolphin H65 Mom says:

Prayers for the crew and their families, and all USCG Pilots and crew at this difficult time.  Be safe.

20. Proud Coastie Mom says:

My heart breaks for your families, as I have a son graduating from AT training next week to become a Helo crewmember.  I pray that God will comfort you now and in the coming days and he will watch over the brave members of the U.S. Coast Guard and their loved ones.

21. Greer says:

No words will mend the hearts or comfort the souls of the many that have been affected, but know, those that have gone on are a crewmember of a much mightier team now. God Speed/Semper Paratus/Prayers
    ex coastie
    greer

22. j.kraft says:

this is always so very sad. Thanks for your service, love and condolences to your families, and may you rest in peace.

23. Sandy Gerbino-Neither says:

This saddens me,, sending my Prayers and Love…. We are a proud Coastie Family and feel their pain..
    Sandy
    Clearwater, Fl

24. Cawilliams77 says:

The crew and their families are in my thoughts – may those still out there be found safe and sound, and may the Coast Guardsmen who crossed over the bow rest in peace.
    -USCG Auxiliarist C. Williams

25. Sea4syc says:

As the wife of a Coastie with over 28 years already served, and many of those flying in H-60 helos as Flight Mech. my thoughts and prayers go out to all of these families. Every time they go out on a mission, whether it be training, or SAR, or whatever, you know there’s that slim possibility that they will not return. Thank God my husband has always returned. Thank every military person you come across for giving years of their lives to serve our country.

26. Wedavan says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the guardsmen and their families.

27. RJRACIN240 says:

My thoughts and prayers are with yours Bill for our shipmates and friends at ATTC Mobile Russ Jones

28. RJRACIN240 says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the crew, families of 6535 and all the men and women of ATTC Mobile.
    Semper Peratus

29. Rcgio says:

My prayers are with all the crews family, friends, and fellow guardsmen. RIP CG-6535 crew. True tragedy..

30. Morrgeo says:

our prayers are with these men and their familys
    BMC george Morriosn Retired

31. Alaskang says:

Praying, remembering, grieving….with you and all of shipmates and families.

32. Dadare1 says:

Makes me ache, its a tragic loss. The average person has no idea..

33. Gtimbs says:

God touch the hearts and give peace AMEN !

Proud Coast Guard Mom
    McDonough, Ga

34. Judy says:

As a Mother of a Coastie I am deeply saddened by this tragedy…….it effects us all. Prayers to the Coast Guard Family.  I am PROUD of what these Men and Women do every day in service to our Country and those who rely upon the USCG for assistance. Semper Paratus.

35. Guest says:

I feel deeply for all those affected by this tragedy.  Prayers and condolences to all families, friends and colleagues.

36. Ollie Pratt says:

As a former mech on -3Fs and -52As, my thoughts go out to the families and shipmates.

37. Delfin081263 says:

This bring painful memories of the CG6017 from Air Station Sitka. My heart, and prayers are with the families and coworkers of these magnificent crew, Lord please embrace them and welcome them, they deserve it…

38. Fat Tony says:

God be with the Coast Guard family today.  This old soldier and proud CG Dad prays for all of you.

39. Malcolm Watts says:

Sincere condolances from this fan of the USCG in the UK

40. Janbriz says:

Our son serves in Mobile. He was on another mission on his return from Astoria, Oregon when this happened.  We are a very proud Coast Guard family.  Our thoughts and prayers will always be a part of these members.  May God give you courage to pick yourself up and continue on for their sake and all Americans.  We love you all.  May God hold these families in the palm of his hand with comfort and strength.  Sincerely, Mrs. Jan from Missouri.

41. Blarney020 says:

The demons of grief have returned to us today, the 28th month anniversary of the CG1705 crash that claimed our son’s life. Our prayers and thoughts are with our adopted Coast Guard family and with the loved ones of those who have lost in this tragedy.
    May God guard over those who search and may He gather those who need comfort and strength into His arms! Lisa Moletzsky

42. M.Bowman says:

the crew and there families as well as all the members of the Coast Guard are in our hearts and prayers,God Bless them in they’re time of sorrow!!

43. Diana_allfe06 says:

im so sad and i prayer for the guardsmens and they family god blesses , we are with all the menbers from military especialy cost guard..

44. Paymanrahimian says:

What a sad day,our prayer to the families.

45. Sochebuffe says:

Words can’t express how saddened I’m to hear about our loss. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with the families during this tragic time.

46. Julie says:

As a mother of a Coastie, I truly am so sorry for the loss of our service personnel.  God bless their families.

47. Dawn Ratz says:

God Bless those who serve! Sempter Paratus!

48. Lydpad says:

Oh no, I am so very sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with the families, friends, and fellow guardsmen of these brave souls.

49. Montana Coastie Mom says:

My heartfelt prayers go out to the families of the crew and the Coast Guard family. I know you’re a close bunch. Bless you for all you do.

50. John Blausey says:

I want to thank the men and women of the USCG for being there for us in our time of need.  I only wish I could be there for you in your time of need. God Bless all of you.

JB

51. Gregoryltm says:

This Coast Guard mom extends to all heartfelt sorrow and sympathy. You are in our prayers.

52. Proud Coastie Wife says:

True Heroes and God’s Angels are the Coast Guard Crews.  Loved and honored forever and a day.

53. Txmrcj says:

The crew’s family will remain in our prayers.  They are part of our family as are all Coasties.  May the good Lord hold them tight.

54. coastie mom says:

We need to pray for the families left behind and for all of our service men and women and their families everywhere. None of them have an easy life worrying about their loved ones.

55. Jchassereau says:

Sad day for CG Family, former H65 FM retired 1996 E-9, still remember those night flights, my prayers are with the families of those lost, still hurts after all these years out to hear of a loss of A/C and crew.
    ADCM John Chassereau

56. Shelle says:

Dear Lisa,

I am so very sorry for your loss.  As a Coastie Mom who has not experienced a loss such as yours, I can only imagine what you have faced in the last 28 months.  Please know there are many people who are grateful for your son’s service.  As well, we are keeping the USCG families in Mobile in our thoughts and prayers.

Most Sincerely,
    Shelle

57. Susan Buck says:

God Bless all of the diligent, hardworking Coast Guard men and women that put their lives on the line everyday.  And condolences to the families.  Does anyone out there but me wonder and feel angered at the lack of national news and media attention to this huge story?  So disappointed with the major networks.  Semper Paratus!!

58. Susie Giugliano & Family says:

I am so sorry for the pain and loss of life. To all of the families, God Bless and stay strong…may peace be within you with time, as only time can heal your wounds. They will be sorely missed…fair winds and following seas…

59. Sara Troy Glendye says:

Sad day in the Coast Guard Family, our thoughts and prayers are with the families of these heros.
         Eternal Father, Lord of hosts,
    Watch o’er the men who guard our coasts.Protect them from the raging seasAnd give them light and life and peace.Grant them from thy great throne aboveThe shield and shelter of thy love.

60. Cdiaz777 says:

Soo sad! I pray that they would be found alive, I pray that the families would find peace in the midst of this tragedy! Thanks to all men & women who sacrifice their lives to keep U.S.A safe, especially my nephew Nestor Matias & niece Arlene Nevarez! Xoxo <3<3 God bless y'all!

61. Respecting our service members says:

My prayers have not stopped for those lost in the CG1705. They now will include the families of the brave men. May peace find its way into your life too Lisa, our son was stationed at Sac and flew with that crew several times. They are missed.

62. Mark W says:

From a US Navy Chief…Godspeed to the missing crew and prayers for all.

63. Ben Rice says:

My condolences to the families of these four crewmembers. Thoughts and prayers are with you all. May they be blessed with fair winds and following seas. – Ben R (’91-’95)

64. CWO4 (Bosn) J. F. Reddick says:

Eternal Father, strong to save,
    Whose arm hath bound the restless wave
    Who bidst the mighty ocean deep
    Its own appointed limits keep.
    Oh hear us when we cry to Thee
    For those in peril on the sea.

God bless the crew, their families, and the searchers.

Semper Paratus!

65. Harold Valette says:

Mrs. Moletzky, I had the privilege of serving with Jason when we were stationed together a few years ago in Miami. He was a fine, hardworking young man and my heart goes out to your family and all the families of the 1705 and 6535 crews. I am retired now, but news like this reminds me of just how close knit the Coast Guard family has always been. My prayers are with the families of the 6535 crew; may God’s grace and mercy sustain them through their great loss.

66. Anonymous says:

Our thoughts and prayer’s to the Flight Crew, their families and ALL of the Coast Guard Family.  My son is currently serving on CGC Ida Lewis and plans to apply for AMT.  It’s this kind of new’s that brings to the forefront the risk’s all of the Hero’s of the Coast Guard face on a daily basis. God Speed.

67. Anonymous says:

My prayers and condolences to all the families, friends and shipmates from a retired helo type. I have felt your pain. God Bless.

68. quotes says:

Sorry to hear this. Prayers to their families

69. Flotilla812EagleDet says:

I’m a USCG Auxiliarist, and I’ll be working down in Mobile this weekend.  You can rest assured that all of us, even the volunteers, will be doing our best to help, whether it’s with recovery or contacting people, or just painting a boat’s hull so that the deceased’s friends can have time to do what they need to do.  Whatever needs doing, we’re semper paratus.  We’ll also be praying for the families and friends of the crew.

70. HazeGrey says:

We honor our fallen Guardians.  Peace to them and their families.

71. Christopher Lagan says:

Coast Guard policy prohibits the release of names of deceased and missing service members until after 24 hours have passed since notification of the next of kin.

We understand the desire for details, however, our concern at this time is for the families, shipmates and friends of the crew of the Coast Guard 6535 and we will respect their privacy and continue to adhere to our policy.

We will provide updated information as it becomes available.

Respectfully,

Cmdr. Christopher T. O’Neil
    Chief of Media Relations
    United States Coast Guard

72. Kathryn S Tuten says:

I went to bootcamp with your son, always good to hear good things about those you began with.

73. Shannon Beshears says:

As a former 65 mech and still proud Coastie, my heart is broke to hear this news.  God be with them.

74. Coastie Mom says:

I will continue to pray for a miracle. It’s so easy to forget how dangerous Coast Guard jobs can be. Thank you, Adm. Papp for reminding us all to pray for these members of the Coast Guard family. Coastie Mom ’02

75. Tbcsps says:

Can those of us who are praying and waiting to hear good news at least get an update on the search?

76. Peg Trimby says:

May God help give added STRENGTH and COURAGE and LOVE to the families of these Coasties. I lost my Son-in-Law with CG6017 July 2009. I know the heartache that you are feeling and my prayers are with you.

77. Christopher Lagan says:

We thank you for the outpouring of thoughts and prayers as the Coast Guard searches for three missing crewmembers of CG-6353.
    Earlier this afternoon, following next of kin notifications, the Coast Guard released the names of the crew members of CG-6353. Deceased is Chief Petty Officer Fernando Jorge. Missing are Petty Officer 3rd Class Andrew Knight, Lt. j.g. Thomas Cameron and Lt. Cmdr. Dale Taylor.

The search continues for our missing Coast Guardsmen and we will continue to update you as information becomes available.

Respectfully,Christopher LaganU.S. Coast Guard Public Affairs

78. Trish2625 says:

The news of this tragedy is devastating.  I am praying for any chance in finding the missing crew members and for the families who are facing the unimaginable.  My heart goes out to all involved. As a CG wife and mother  I will continue to pray for the safety of all service members and the families who support them.

79. PT says:

My error…….that was July 2010 for CG6017.

80. Maura L. Krueger says:

My thoughts and prayers to all of the families of CG 6535.  I know what you are going through right now.  I hope that you can feel the long arms of this Coast Guard Family wrapped securely around you.  We are always here if you need us, any time of day or night.  God Bless and keep safe all of those who continue to search, as we pray for a miracle.  God Bless the men and women of the United States Coast Guard.
    Eternal Father, Lord of hosts, Watch o’er all those who guard our coasts. Protect them from the raging seas And give them light and life and peace. Grant them from Thy great throne above The shield and shelter of Thy love.

81. Brandon says:

Thank you so much everybody for your thoughts and prayers! It really means a lot to friends and family. The rescue swimmer on board was my best friend. We were really close, he was a big brother always watching out for me.

82. Egold1967 says:

Semper Paratus! Our prayers are with the families, friends and extended love ones.  I am a new Coast Guard Mother and we were on the way to Cape May, NJ on February 28,2012 when we did hear of the tragedy.  Our hearts go out to our extended family and friends.
    ECHO-186

83. Brendap3617 says:

Our hearts are with you today. It is our sincere hope that TIME- the great comforter, will bring you that solace which God intends it should.
    BrendaPaul USCG Auxiliary D8CR 7-10
    author unknown

84. Gallaelizabeth says:

Prayers go out to the crewmembers and family of course.

85. Capt Delong says:

As a merchant marine Master, my crew and I pray for the families. We always have deep respect the the USCG knowing you have our backs when the going gets rough. Continued thanks for your service. God bless the USCG.

86. Shoobop says:

RIP

87. Char Martin says:

RIP Lt. Thomas Cameron… you will be missed in Portland Oregon.

88. Rigel_kentdc says:

God with all of them.

89. Mark says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and fellow coast guard members with the loss of the crew of 6535..I hope there is hope for the recovery of the 4th crew member as well.

90. Chrisreynolds says:

Deepest sympathies from your colleagues in the Irish Coast Guard.
    Ar dheis Dé go raibh siad (May they rest in peace)
    Chris Reynolds
    Director IRCG

91. Shelley says:

I’m sure that it hits you hard (I’m crying just typing this)  God heal your family and theirs.  My son-in-law serves in the CG too.

92. Redsgem24 says:

Sunset and evening star, And one clear call for me! And may there be no moaning of the bar, When I put out to sea, … But such a tide as moving seems asleep, Too full for sound and foam, When that which drew from out the boundless deep Turns again home Twilight and evening bell, And after that the dark! And may there be no sadness of farewell, When I embark; For tho’ from out our bourne of Time and Place The flood may bear me far, I hope to see my Pilot face to face When I have crossed the bar.

93. Mike J says:

May God’s peace and compassion be with the families and friends of our fallen Coasties.

94. Mraclestrip2003 says:

may God look after them . My prayers will include thewm and their famlies.

95. Kenholle says:

Eternal Father, Lord of hosts
    Watch over those who guard our coasts

We go in harms way in our appointed missions
    If He can’t protect us from harm
    He welcomes us into the ranks of the many who have gone before us
    Where we are in good company

96. Virginia Nalepinski says:

My heartfelt prayers go out to the family of the crew of CG-6535.  My grandson is in the Coast Guard stationed in Portsmouth, VA and I know by the grace of God, that it wasn’t his time.  I worry about him constantly, but I also know he is doing what he loves.  Our men and women go into all branches of service fully knowing full well the perils that could befall them, and they do it with pride and integrity.  They never quaver from doing their job and they will face their enemy eye to eye, if necessary. God bless  the crew of CG-6535 for facing their “perils” and God Bless all fine, brave men/women who sacrifice their lives while doing what they love.

97. James says:

so sorry for ur loss, please know that men and women in our armed forces do the things they are called to do by a desire to serve and a desire of manifested internal destiny to be the best for u and for all they care about.  In their loss elevate to the things they said in love, remember for ever the desire to show a commitment to all they possessed.  I have been over the oceans several hundreds of miles at a time knowing each time maybe the last time. We do it because we are committed to the challenge we accept.  What is hard to understand for loved ones is that we do it all for the love of flying, to reject the fate of death but admonish the moments of life. Stay storng even in morning let joy of moments together over come anquish do not let the temptation of depression or desperation overcome the joy of life shared with the love once known so intimately. Tomorrow will always belong to the living and if u deny urself that joy u are not appreciating the past in love to survive the future. God will provide for the future be strong like the person u miss so much that will encourge life. Let not death steal ur time of life-in life is joy.  All death can promise is destruciton upon the living.  Let each morning u see the sun rise be a joy – run full speed ahead and enjoy each day. God bless!

98. Saritawarren says:

I am so sorry for the loss of this crew. Prayers go out to their families.