‘Coast Guard Alaska’ premieres

A Coast Guard rescue swimmer is lowered onto the icy terrain of Alaska. Production photo courtesy of Al Roker Entertainment, Inc.

Four hundred miles from the North Pole, ice began to break around a research camp, threatening the camp’s shelters. A Coast Guard aircrew from Kodiak, Alaska, launched to provide support for the camp and ensure the threat of breaking ice was no more. Operations like this are commonplace in our nation’s Last Frontier and have largely gone unseen – until now.

A Coast Guard aircrew heads to their helicopter at Air Station Kodiak, Alaska. Production photo courtesy of Al Roker Entertainment, Inc.

Riding aboard the HC-130 Hercules aircraft alongside the Coast Guard aircrew, was a film crew from the new TV show “Coast Guard Alaska.” The film crew has taped Coast Guardsmen and their families for the past few months and will provide a rare insider’s perspective to the missions and lives of Alaska’s heroes.

“The filming crew has been great,” said Lt. David Corey, a pilot on the research camp overflight. “They are very flexible as far as working with us and just being aware of what our operations are and the risks associated with each operation.”

Corey knows just how different missions in Alaska can be, as his previous duty station was as a pilot at Air Station Barbers Point in Hawaii. While the differences between the two locations are obvious, the implications are very real for all who operate in Alaska.

“The harsh environment, the distance of our operating area, the seas, the fishing vessels, the crab fleet,” listed Corey. “The structure of our operations out here provides all kinds of unique operations and unique opportunities to film.”

An Air Station Kodiak, Alaska, crewmember. Production photo courtesy of Al Roker Entertainment, Inc.

An Air Station Kodiak, Alaska, crewmember while on a mission. Production photo courtesy of Al Roker Entertainment, Inc.

After a day of capturing the action in dangerous Alaskan waters, the cameras followed Coast Guardsmen off-duty to shed light on the tight-knit community of Kodiak. In the homes of Coast Guard men and women, the film crews were able to portray the remarkable families who support each and every servicemember.

While even “reality TV” can’t depict the full reality of any Coast Guard unit, Corey hopes “Coast Guard Alaska” will provide a glimpse of their everyday lives and life-and-death operations.

“What they show on the film is what it is actually like, so it offers a unique perspective people don’t actually see,” said Corey. “Out here, what we do is real.”

Starting tomorrow you can see all the action for yourself! If you can’t wait until then, check out this sneak peak from the show’s premiere!

Want to find out more about the show and airtime? Check out the “Coast Guard Alaska” webpage or Facebook page.

An MH-60 Jawhawk helicopter from Air Station Kodiak, Alaska, soars above mountainous terrain. Production photo courtesy of Al Roker Entertainment, Inc.

Tags: , , , , , ,

24 Responses

1. Ken Louks says:

I can only guess what kind of life it is for USCG men and women in AK. Extreme weather and climate: for, snow, bitter cold, wind….you train for all conditions. Now a massive storm is approaching Nome. I hope the local people take it seriously.

I commend ALL of you for a job well done, day and night, calm and storm.

SP/4, US Army, 1970-1972

2. Matthew Brown says:

I have the utmost respect for the men and women of the U.S. Coast Guard.

Semper Paratus

3. Gail Feldman says:

Incredible how many people in the US do not know that the Coast Guard
    is a part of the Military.My sons first assignment was stationed in Honolulu on a High endurance cutter that went to that Bering Sea every few months. He did those crazy rescues of the Snow & King Crab Fisherman. He also Volunteered & went to Katrina. The Coast Guard ARE THE FIRST RESPONDERS and my heros.

4. ? says:

Coats Guard rocks, I’m proud to say my dad is Cost guard. Alaska BABY, and HAWAIi

5. James says:

I was just stationed up in kodiak for 2 years on CGC Munro Jul09-Jun11. i spent roughly 8 months in the bearing sea as well. The weather and such environment can change so quick on you and become so harsh. I had to work in as low as -20 outside to 30+ foot waves. But we always took our job serously and did our best. Id like to say thank you to my family in Blue still up there and best of luck

6. Joe says:

I was in the USCG from 1983 – 1988 and I joined to be a life saver not a life taker. It is good to see the SAR stuff insted of just the law enforcement on TV.

7. Chelly says:

Extreme weather and climate, you train for all conditions. Job well done for ALL of you, men and women of the U.S. Coast Guard!!!

8. ike says:

The US Coast actually falls under the Department of Homeland Security, not Department of Defense with all military departments

9. Joel says:

Coast Guard is DHS not DOD, however, title 14 of the US Code declairs the USCG as an armed force.

10. Nick says:

The U.S. Military consists of five active-duty Services and their respective Guard and Reserve units. All branches are equal parts of the United States Uniformed Services, headed by the President as Commander-in-Chief. The Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Defense (DoD). The Coast Guard reports to the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime and to the DoD (by way of the Navy) during wartime.

So the CG is a “miltary department.”

11. Stuart Mallory says:

Good stuff. I visited Kodiak Island a couple years ago and was impressed with USCG’s first rate operation out of there. Nothing easy about operating in an arctic environment – impressive work.

12. David H. Bynum says:

We train many Coasties in many different law enforcement and intelligence activities here at the DHS Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. I wish I had went into the Coast Guard rather than the Air Force as the assignments are near water (Mostly). What a great bunch of folks I meet each week. What an unimaginable job and service they do. Thank you for who you are and what you do.

13. Michael Morris says:

Wow, to achieve my goal as a USCG Aviation Survival Technician would be the greatest achievement of my life. I wish i could graduate from college and join active duty ASAP!

14. Dan Lenihan says:

I retired from the USCG in 2001 and spent my last three years in Kodiak, Alaska. Looking forward to the show. I spent a tour recruiting for the USCG and I can tell you the other military recruiters were not happy when we showed up at career fairs…:)
    AST1, Helicopter Rescue Swimmer, Retired

15. BM2 says:

I am currently deployed to the middle east with my unit. We are reservists and are part of the Deployable Operations Group, or DOG, a section of the Coast Guard made up of reservists and active duty personnel that as the name sugests, deploys all over the world. Currently, my unit is protecting the ports and harbors where we are stationed but are mission can be anything from supporting the humanitarian efforts in Haiti after the earthquake there to responding to oil disasters or assisting with drug interdiction. In my six+ years in the Coast Guard reserve, I’ve traveled to several countries and made numerous new memories. Semper Paratus!

16. coastie4life says:

What abouth the hercs?!!!!!!!!!!!! allways the unsung. Not taking anything from the 60″s. just would be nice to see them too!

17. Jose Chaves says:

Wow !! This stuff is right out of “The Guardian”

18. skip says:

Nick, Joel and Ike……depending on how far you look back, the CG was passed around between the DEPTS of Interior, Transportation, Treasury, Defense, and now HS……almost like the last kid picked on the playground. It needs to be put back in DOD. DHS has way TOOOOOOO much politics

19. Don Hetticher says:

We need more of these shows to let people know how Coasties put their lives on the line 24/7 war or no war.
    My son is a flt.mech. on the 65s at AS Miami (Opa Locka).I am so proud of him.I’m in the Aux. & do Ops watch standing at ASLA.
    GO COAST GUARD Semper Paratus!!!

20. David Soby says:

Memories are rushing back I remember my days in Kodiak as a corpsman and medevac flier

21. jared says:

The Coast Guard is the most important thing in the world.Without them we could not be safe on the ocean.

22. Richard says:

I keep seeing this statement “Coast Guard is part of the Military” The Coast Guard is part of Department OF Homeland Security not the DOD. The Coast Guard has the Authority to police the U.S. civilian population. Because of The Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 the Coast Guard would have to give up the Law Enforcement mission if they fell under the DOD

23. James C. says:

I’ve got a brother in the Coast Guard and couldn’t be more proud of him! He’s a true hero!

24. Tom Clark says:

This is great exposure for the Coast Guard up there and the Coast Guard in general. It shows a lot of work and dedication. One adventurous was to serve ones country.